Amazon Launches Kindle Service in Argentina

January 6th, 2010 | Categoría: Technology

Amazon KindleAmazon.com said Wednesday it has started selling its famous Kindle e-reader to customers in Argentina.

Amazon will offer 3G wireless download options for Argentine users. On average, Kindle books will cost Argentine customers around US $11.99 per book, Amazon said in a statement. That’s more than the US $9.99 that books typically cost for users in the U.S.

The Kindle Store will offer more than 300,000 books to customers in Argentina. Customers will also be able to access Merriam Webster’s English-Spanish Translation Dictionary to translate words from English into Spanish.

“Customers in Argentina have been asking for the Kindle, and now we’re happy to be able to offer it along with more than 300,000 books, as well as magazines and the best-known newspapers,” Ian Free, Amazon’s Kindle VP, said in a statement. “The Kindle allows customers in Argentina and around the world to think about a book, and start to read it, in less than 60 seconds.”

Among other newspapers, Kindle offers customers the opportunity to download El País (from Spain), O Globo (from Brazil) and, of course, The New York Times, etc.

I’ve been testing the Kindle for over a month now in the U.S. and have found it to be somewhat disappointing. Its user interface seems too basic and limited compared with computers and other devices like the iPhone. But its screen is remarkably clear and much easier on the eyes than are typical computer screens or LCD monitors. Meanwhile, given that it is so hard, and so expensive, to acquire English books, magazines and newspapers in Argentina, the Kindle may be just the right option for serious, serial readers.

However, there is one important caveat. Later this month, Apple will announce its new tablet multimedia device, which will likely go on sale in March. It is almost certain to be far more impressive than the Kindle and will offer video and other features which the comparatively troglodytic Kindle does not. Additionally, other companies are coming out with other e-readers that could make the Kindle look even more rudimentary. Check out the Skiff Reader, for example, here.

To get the Kindle or the Kindle DX (which has a larger, 9.7 inch display), you’ll have to pay around $20 for shipping, as well as Argentine customs taxes and fees (I don’t know how much these will add up to). You can order the Kindle by clicking here and here. Amazon will start shipping to Argentina on Jan. 19.

Scott ValdezNo Gravatar says:

Picked one up while I was back in the States for the holidays and its working great so far. Definitely a great product for people living here that want to be able to quickly and easily buy books in English. Another nice thing is knowing I’ll be able to take all the new books I buy back with me if I decide to move back Stateside.

[...] of cultural activities that starts next Saturday, January 9th, 2010 … Wednesday, 06 January Amazon Launches Kindle Service in Argentina[The Argentine Post] Amazon.com said Wednesday it has started selling its famous Kindle e-reader to [...]

samNo Gravatar says:

Thanks to your advice, I waited and now I will buy an I-PAD. Hopefully Argentina will have 3G I-PAD service by June or July. CHEERS.

samNo Gravatar says:

When I try to order a Kindle on the Amazon website, I get this message (on February 2):
“Unfortunately, we are currently unable to ship Kindles to Argentina.”

TIPICO!

samNo Gravatar says:

Just got this from Amazon:

Hello,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Previously, we have been able to ship Kindle’s to Argentina, but effective immediately we will no longer be shipping Kindle’s to Argentina.

The addition of Kindle and Kindle DX (Global Wireless) models to the Kindle family allows us to offer Kindle to many customers outside the United States. Currently, Kindles and Kindle content are unavailable in ARGENTINA.

Visit the Kindle (Global Wireless) detail pages and select countries to see if Kindle and Whispernet wireless service are available:

Kindle (Global Wireless): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015T963C/
Kindle DX (Global Wireless): http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0015TG12Q/

We value our international customers and hope to make Kindle and related content available in more locations in the future.

Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.

I GUESS THEY SHIPPED TO ARGENTINA FOR ALL OF 5 MINUTES!

samNo Gravatar says:

In response to my request for clarification, I received this from Amazon:
Hello,

“I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you.

We are unable to ship the Kindles to Argentina due to the high import fees and customs department and moreover Kindle orders are not successfully delivering to the customers.

We are working to make Kindle available to Argentina and we hope the shipping would be available to Argentina very soon.

Anyhow, we consider this as a feedback and try to make Kindle available in more locations in the future.

Strong customer feedback like yours helps us continue to improve the service we provide, and we’re glad you took time to write to us. I’ll send your comments to the Kindle team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon. Thanks for your interest in Amazon Kindle.”

How embarrassing!

CristinaNo Gravatar says:

I’m trying to find the Argentina version of Amazon.com. Does anyone have the website? Thsi probably sounds like a stupid question, but I have no idea how to order books from Argentina on the internet. Any Argentinian websites for searching nad ordering books would be great!

EzequielNo Gravatar says:

Cristina,

have you find a argentinian site to download ebooks??
I use Taringa, but maybe is somethong better.

Thanks

EzequielNo Gravatar says:

Hello,
I am from Argentina.
I bought a Kindle Fire last time I was in the US.

I can´t download anything from Amazon Store because I don´t have a US card and address.
Someone knows why??