Photo Post: Argentina’s Hidden Gems

April 10th, 2011 | Categoría: Culture, Travel

One of the great joys of living in an older, pedestrian-friendly city like Buenos Aires is the unexpected discovery of hidden gems.

I chanced upon one of these Sunday night while walking my little pug, Buki, around my neighborhood just north of the city. Technically speaking, I don’t even live in Buenos Aires. I live near the border between the neighborhoods of Olivos and La Lucila.

Just as in San Telmo or parts of Recoleta, some parts of these neighborhoods are defined by beautifully cobbled, tree-lined streets. It’s a delightful area to explore by foot.

While walking with Buki I came across this older movie theater, Cine York, which was showing Woody Allen’s latest movie, You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger.

The place looked incredibly cozy, quiet and romantic. I felt fortunate, happy to be out and about and happy to have such a lovely placed so close to my home.

tangobobNo Gravatar says:

One of the joys missed most by tourists who travel everywhere by taxi, is just walking through beautiful plazas, seeing the wonderful buildings that are everywhere, and just getting the true feel of the city.
Buenos Aires still retains that richness that comes from years of organic development. I just hope that it will not be lost in the rush to develop and make more money.

CandiceNo Gravatar says:

I am reminded of my favorite “art house” cinema in Portland, Oregon.
I miss that sort of theatre, we are going to have to come wander around your neighborhood one day :- )

[...] The Argentine Post writes about one of “Argentina's hidden gems,” Cine York in Buenos Aires: “The classy, inviting nature of this little theater couldn’t contrast more with the loud, plastic, cookie-cutter nature of modern shopping centers that have come to dominate the urban landscape of huge swaths of the U.S.” Tweet [...]

vicaNo Gravatar says:

this is so weird, this is on my street! i saw the pic and recognized it immediately. ive been meaning to check this little place out and all the others around town.

VanessaNo Gravatar says:

Yo conocí ese rinconcito de la Lucila la primer semana que estuve en Buenos Aires. Tuve una sensación maravillosa, como de back to the future. Buenos Aires me hace sentir, a cada paso, que me transporto al pasado, a diferentes épocas. Nunca vi al pasado convivir tan cómodamente en el presente.

JULIANNo Gravatar says:

We used to have a place like ‘Cine York’ in the city I live in (Hurlingham, Bs As). But not anymore since it was replaced by a chapel a few years ago. This is actually happening at a lot of towns around Buenos Aires and also in some neighborhoods inside the capital city. I just wonder why we don’t have a law to protect this places that are part of our culture. I don’t have anything against these religions and their churches, but they specifically look for these cinemas and theatres to install the churches and it’s just sad that we don’t do anything when situations like this are taking place at almost all our historical cinemas and theatres.

samNo Gravatar says:

Isn’t this the cinema used in the great film “Apartment Zero”?

hernanNo Gravatar says:

wow, i used to go to that “cine” when i lived in la lucila….weird., still looks the same.