Argentina Approves Nationwide Smoking Ban

June 1st, 2011 | Categoría: Culture, Politics, Travel

Argentina’s Congress on Wednesday moved the country to the forefront of the global fight against cancer by passing a nationwide ban on smoking in indoor public places.

In a rare display of national unity, members of the Lower House of Congress voted almost unanimously to approve the ban, which received the support of virtually all political parties.

Health officials estimate that cigarette-related cancer kills around 40,000 Argentines annually.

Pro party Deputy Paula Bertol, one of the law’s most vocal proponents, said the law’s goal is to reduce smoking and prevent people from taking up the hideous habit in the first place.

The law does allow people to continue smoking on their own private balconies and patios, etc.

“Today is a day to celebrate,” Bertol said in a statement. “After more than 20 years of working on this matter, Congress has finally passed the law that will save lives. Tobaco kills and our objective is to protect those who freely choose not to smoke.”

Bertol said that more than half of the people who smoke will end up dying from a disease related to their consumption of cigarettes. On average, she said, smokers live at least 10 years less than non-smokers.

Argentina has come a long way in recent years. The City of Buenos Aires first banned smoking in 2006. That’s a far cry from the mid 1990s when some Argentines still smoked openly in movie theaters.

RMartinNo Gravatar says:

Usual hypocrisy. I would believe the lack of emission rules with pollution spewing out of every other vehicle would cause more harm. Not to mention noise pollution, the third worst in the world. Thank God I escaped that cesspool forever!

CNo Gravatar says:

Well, this makes us happy ! It isn´t just about the smoke, which is , of course, a filthy habit and deadly .. but the sad fact is many smokers have the bad habit of just dropping lit cigarettes on the ground when they are finished, instead of stubbing it out and putting it in the trash. I have seen dogs and children step on lit cigarette butts, making me wish someone would have put it out on the lazy ass smoker instead …
I agree that people here are a bit on the lazy side when it comes to keeping their city clean, they seem to expect someone else to always be there to pick up after them .. this I see when countless people just drop trash on the ground as they walk, regardless of the waste bins that are Everywhere ..
But this is such a great step in the Right Direction !!

As to the noise and car pollution, just like throwing your trash on the ground, if someone told you it was bad or shamed you for doing it, perhaps they would stop.. or do what they do in other cities and hand out tickets for noise pollution and auto emission pollution.

A says:

RMartin,
It is not “hypocricy” to work toward solving one problem while other problems exist.

MarcosNo Gravatar says:

thanks God we won’t have you RMartin here forever! Argentina is getting clean, no RMartin’s, no cigarettes on public places… sweet!

[...] Argentina Approves Nationwide Smoking Ban [The Argentine Post] Argentina passed a law on Wednesday that bans smoking in indoor work spaces, schools, hospitals, museums, clubs and public transportation systems. It also places strict limits on the sale, advertising and promotion of cigarettes in these and other places while forcing tobacco companies to put warning labels on cigarette packages. All I can say is thank god! [...]

John GarganNo Gravatar says:

Great step forward about time they caught up to the reality the rest of the world already knew about! Always behind the eight ball eh! Que cosa che!

RMartinNo Gravatar says:

Argentina getting clean? Right. Not mentioned above…..what about the dog crap everywhere, smeared along the sidewalks? What about the water poured over terraces or dripping from air conditioners? What about the broken sidewalks everywhere….the kind that you step on and a nice splash of muddy water comes out? What about the….never mind. Enjoy and keep telling yourselves its “Barbaro”. Everyone deals with bull%(*& in his own way. If you can escape, I encourage you to do so as it crumbles even more.

CNo Gravatar says:

I assume RMartin has never been to Paris ? London or NYC ?
Find a city with dogs and you will find some crap somewhere..
Since we have lived here, things have improved quite a lot .

My god, water dripping off an a/c ? In a world of things that are bad, this is not really on my list .. but for some people, I imagine it is difficult to find a nice dry, clean spot in the world .. except the hospital , there might be a nice clean quiet room there :)

RMartinNo Gravatar says:

For whatever its worth, “C”, I have been to all of the cities you mentioned and lived in Europe for 12 years prior to my delightful time in Buenos Aires for 8. I have travelled extensively as well. That being said, your condescending attitude is not valid. As I also stated, I have fortunately “escaped” Argentina for the greener pastures of the USA and am delighted to report none of the items above are an issue here. My neighborhood is clean, manicured lawns, quiet, and cordial neighbors. Good to be home in a civilized society.

Mandrake says:

It doesnt matter what your are talking about, tobacco , or dogs shit.
The demeanning, pervarsive nasty feeling toward the gringos is here to stay.
Pay no attention, to level to the same poor insight.

Hernan oHBNo Gravatar says:

I lived in NY, San Francisco, Chicago, Miami and Los Angeles… all of those cities have a dirty Downtown… My neighborhood in Buenos Aires is clean, manicured lawns, quiet, and cordial neighbors too.

I don’t think your attitude is kind towards Argentina… that over all, it’s pretty awesome.

Maybe you are from a smaller city… You can’t compare Salt Lake City, UT; Denver, CO or Montgomery, Alabama with a city like Buenos Aires.

I think RMantin you need a hug.

I think Taos describes your attitude pretty well,

“Argentina has many exceptionally wonderful attributes. And, like all places, it also has some downsides. For me, one of the very worst of these is cynicism.”

“Cynicism corrodes the culture and prevents people from standing up to corruption, injustice, abuse of power and even smaller civic transgressions.”

“When people become accustomed to injustice, they too often lose all hope that they can combat it.”

[...] Argentine smoking ban 1. June 2011 – The law bans smoking in indoor work spaces, schools, hospitals, museums, clubs and public transportation systems. It also places strict limits on the sale, advertising and promotion of cigarettes in these and other places while forcing tobacco companies to put warning labels on cigarette packages. http://www.argentinepost.com/2011/06/argentina-approves-nationwide-smoking-ban.html [...]